As Australian as you can get
Dick Smith, well known businessman, aviator, film-maker, and explorer was born on 18 March 1944 in Roseville.
A brief outline of his achievements are listed below:
- First Trans-Tasman Balloon flight - 2000
- Founded Dick Smith Foods - 1999
- Chairman of the National Centenary of Federation Council - 1996-2000
- Appointed as Ambassador for the Council for Aboriginal Reconciliation - 1998
- Chairman of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority Board - 1997-1999 & 1990-1992
- First non-stop balloon crossing of the Australian continent - 1993
- Awarded the Lindbergh Award. An annual world-wide award given to one individual for lifetime achievement of a balance between technical advancement and environmental preservation - 1992.
- Founded Australian Geographic in 1986 and returned the Australian Encyclopaedia to Australian ownership in 1987, sold to Australian-owned John Fairfax Publications Pty Ltd - 1995. Now privately owned following management buy-out in 1998
- First person to fly around the world via the poles in 1989 and made the first helicopter flight to the North Pole in 1987. Australian of the Year for 1986
- First solo helicopter flight around the world - 1983
- Founded Dick Smith Electronics 1968 (which was sold to Aussie-owned Woolworths in 1982)
- Awarded the Baden Powell Award in 1966 after 14 years in the scouting movement
- Dick Smith's Population Crisis (2011)
- Above the World (1996)
- Solo Around the World (1992)
- Our Fantastic Planet (1991)
- Two Years in the Aviation Hall of Doom (1984)
- The Earth Beneath Me (1983)
Click the "like" button on our facebook page, you can view photos, videos and see our latest status. Help spread the word and share with your friends.